Friday, September 22, 2017

Blog Assignment 3- Community and Collaboration

Weekly Summary

Throughout this week, we have been researching on some collaboration ideas to incorporate into our lesson.  Since last week, I have weighed my options on how to make the collaboration in my art class valuable.  Community and Collaboration are both very important aspects in art because it teaches students to work together, have various ideas that come together, and learn about art pieces in the community. 
Item of Interest

I have a couple items of interest for my art class.  First, is about community involvement.  I am requiring my students to go to an art museum of their choice and research some of the art pieces throughout the museum.  This gives them an idea of various art pieces from different artists.  Second, is the group collaboration presentation at the end of the semester.  During this assignment, students will be grouped with 2 other students and required to research an artist and put together a power point about their research.  One will be required to give some background and information about the artist, one will be required to research some of the artwork this artist has made and the meaning behind it, and one will be required to come up with an activity that would go with this artist.  Or they may all work together on all three parts as long as they give a summary of which student completed what parts and it was equal participation. 

Problem or Concern

The problem or concern I have with the requirement to go to an art museum is that the students have the time and money to go.  I feel like this could be resolved by allowing them to present a link for a virtual tour of an art museum and still complete the same requirements as going to the museum.  The problem or concern I have with the group collaboration presentation is that not all students will equally participate.  I was in a group once, and one of the girls didn't want to complete her portion until the day before it was due and the rest of us had ours finished two weeks ahead of time but couldn't put everything together until hers was done.  It made it very hard and frustrating to work with someone like that.  I think maybe have some checkpoints throughout this to make sure everyone is working at the same pace. 

2 comments:

  1. I actually made the comment in my blog entry for this week that my concern is that some in the group will not participate. So what I said I would do to try to make sure that doesn't happen is to create weekly check-ins. This is where each student would check-in to show they are actively participating, and if they aren't someone will have to speak up and let me know. It is hard with online courses. You just really have to trust that everyone is pulling their weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all on the same page with student participation. It seems like we have all been burnt at some point with one student not pulling there weight on a project. I included on my project a check off weekly list, just as you did. Maybe making the student accountable on a weekly bases will promote activity.

    ReplyDelete