Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Blog Assignment 2- Assessment

Weekly Summary

This week we began working on the assessments, which help us better understand whether or not a student is understanding what is being taught in the classroom.  As teachers, we must make sure our assessments match our objectives and that learners know what we expect of them through demonstration of their mastery of the knowledge or skill.  Assessments I used in my course include objective and formative.

Item of Interest

In this course, I will be using formative assessment as feedback on how well my students have comprehended the course.  This will include scanning in their art work and submitting it into the correct place.  I will also have some multiple choice, true/false, and matching assessments that will be open book/video.  This will help them better relate the material through text and videos with their actual art projects.  I also think this allows me to see if the students are, in fact, reading the required material and watching the videos.  The objective assessments will require them to download the document, choose the correct answer, and submit the completed document to the correct link. 

Problem or Concern

The main problem or concern I see with these assessments are the students only completing the assessments through book/video and completing the artwork to realize they haven't really learned the material.  So many videos and examples are available through YouTube that students can watch and complete without having to put any thought into it.  I also like to use open book assessments to verify students have completed the readings but this too can be avoided by just looking up the answers to the questions instead of actually completing all the reading required. 

2 comments:

  1. I believe the concerns you are having are concerns nearly every teacher has, I believe that the information has to be put out there for the student but we as future educators cannot fret over what each student does it. You will have some that will try to take a short cut and view materials on line but you will also have those who will read the material in the book and will be able to easily find answers for an open book test, while others struggle to find answers. I would suggest a time limit on an exam and that might help eliminate some of the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Crystal. Limiting the time on a "book" quiz can better ensure they have read. If you have 30 seconds on a question (which may be a little tight), it really limits the amount of look up they can do.

    For the art work, it would probably be like writing (although I'd need to see the layout of the course). How can you tell if someone isn't writing their own paper? Generally, you use multiple small samples so a) you can tell when the characteristics drastically change and b) it is cost prohibitive to pay someone. It doesn't work all the time, but it limits the probabilities. Maybe you can do mini art projects leading up to the final one where you can see each step in progress to determine whether or not the culmination makes sense from what you have seen earlier.

    ReplyDelete