Blog Assignment 1-Analysis
Weekly Summary
This week, we began developing our course outline that will be used throughout this semester. Our main focus this week was on the analysis phase of the project. This phase includes student and content information that the students should complete for this particular course.
Item of Interest
The course that I am creating is considered an elective course so there would be no prerequisites or classes required after this one. When taking an elective course, most students need it for credit hours and sometimes aren't even interested in it. So I decided to make the introduction of each student interesting. I will require my students to complete an introduction video, which will need to include a picture of themselves, major, goals, interests, and why they took this course and what they hope to gain from the class. The video must be at least 3 minutes long and have their voice as the recording. The idea of this is for each student to get to know each other and seeing why they chose this course.
Problem or Concern
The main problem I see with this assignment is that some students may not be advanced enough in technology to complete the introduction video without adequate help. For campus classes, I could show them how and what programs to use to complete the project but with online classes, it becomes a little more difficult. I would however be available for questions and concerns.
Hello, Kim. I am also designing a course that would be considered an elective. Like you, there will be no prerequisite. As far as your concerns go, I believe that you could overcome the problem of having students that are not tech savvy. There are several ways you could approach the problem, but I believe the easiest would be to do a series of video tutorials on how to use the most popular video editing programs. You could then upload the videos to YouTube, Vimeo or directly into your virtual classroom. Video tutorials are great because they can be paused, reversed and repeated as much as the student needs. An even quicker option would be to link directly to a video that already exists, which covers these same editing programs. For example, here is full tutorial of how to use iMovie on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UviYzKGFm4g . I found it after a quick Google search. I am sure that you can find a shorter one or even a more detailed one, depending on what your students need.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing to consider for your assignment could be if your students have the software or equipment to record the introduction. As you create your course, you may want to add in information about the required equipment for the class (required textbook, required editing software, microphone, web cam, etc). Students knowing about any additional equipment they may need up front, could prevent problems for them later on in the course. Good luck with your course. It sounds like you are off to a great start!
I struggled with how much technology to incorporate into my class as well. I have friends who are not very tech savvy, so when there are major technological components in a class they struggle with the assignment. I think with a well explained tutorial embedded in the module or a very specific directions page, it would work. Listing the required equipment or programs needed for the class in the beginning is a good way for students to know what to expect as well. You might even look into a specific online program that they could all use, so that they can work together with any problems. You might also consider having a place on Blackboard where they can ask each other questions.
ReplyDelete