Friday, October 20, 2017

Blog Assignment 5- Course Development

Weekly Summary

Over a couple weeks, we have been creating a course development assignment through CourseSites.  I am realizing the best way to complete this is to experiment with all the different tools, links, and aspects of the site in order to create a great design.  I feel like a great design and easy accessible class is the best way to keep students on track and not frustrated.  Most students, myself included, get uneasy or upset when they can't figure out where or how to get to something on Blackboard.  I'm going to do my best in creating this course development assignment so that it is easy to access and students aren't having to look everywhere to find things.

Item of Interest

Since my class has several art projects, I wanted to create a place for the students to submit them so others in the class could see them and not just be sent to me.  It was hard for me to decide how to accomplish this task without students criticizing each other and making them seem like the course was too overwhelming.  I also have them complete a blog posting and respond to two peers.  I decided to have them share their artwork on the discussion board and if they reply to two peers they can get one extra point toward their final grade.  This gives them the opportunity to gain extra points, if they want to, and collaborate with other students in the class. 

Problem or Concern

My concern with this is that some students will not complete this and then at the end of the semester want extra points or to complete late, when they see their final grade.  After having this option in one of my classes this semester, I will stress the importance of completing these easy extra point posts just in case they need them in the end and making sure they are aware of the due dates.  I believe this is an easy way to earn points and be able to interact with students in your class.

4 comments:

  1. Kim,
    I like the idea of allowing students the opportunity of gaining extra points throughout the semester, because, well, life happens and sometimes assignments get turned in late. To address your concern with students wanting to get their extra points at the end of the semester, as long as you make it known and have it listed in the proper areas (syllabus, announcements, discussion boards, etc.), you have done more than your job. Many teachers do not even make extra points available, so if they miss the deadline, they missed their opportunity. Great job, it sounds like your project is coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Kim. I really like the idea of students being able to share their work with others. In art-related classes, part of the fun is seeing what others did with the same assignment you had. You learn a lot by seeing other people's work and you also have the opportunity to share ideas that could improve the work of others. By building in an opportunity for extra points, I believe that you will have a better amount of student participation.

    To address your point, I do not think that you should worry about the students criticizing one another. That is a natural part of any art class. All that we teachers have to do is make sure that the criticisms are respectful and relevant. Students should not tear one another down. Instead, they should address the art. It could be helpful if you have some ground rules about art criticism in place. I would suggest that you encourage the students to stick to the rules of art criticism. While there are many schools of thought on the subject, one of the most enduring standards is the 4-step system that includes describing, analyzing, interpreting and judging. I think that as long as the criticisms are focused on the art (color, balance, aesthetics, meaning, symbolism, etc), criticism can only be a plus. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim! Great blog post! I agree with the others, I like the idea of allowing opportunities for extra credit. I also can 100% see the issue with students not completing their assignments. I seem to be struggling with this issue with some peers in one of my classes right now, and it's affecting me, so there definitely should be a way to make sure everyone is pulling their weight. While you give extra credit points, I would also suggest that you also dock points for not participating. It can be tough to be "the mean guy," but if you are firm with your students, they will take you much more seriously, and hopefully they would all participate! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,
    I love the amount of student interaction you have. I feel like in online courses, that can be lacking. To avoid criticism in the peer reviews I would have them refer to a set of guidelines for commenting on others posts. This can show them how to give proper constructive criticism and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete